Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hi New guy here with some Wisdom
11-16-2009, 03:55 AM,
Hi New guy here with some Wisdom
Hi everyone,

A lot of you remember from back in the MxO days. Wow was stunned to learn that MxO died after 4 years... I didnt get a notification that the servers was being turned off Confusedad .

Ok now... I started reading about life after MxO and found that some folks do not have clear understanding of how Intellectual Property works. I am here to enlighten you and perhaps some of us could hope to keep MxO going.

This is a story about a game called 10Six which was owned by Sega. The game mysteriously closed and for months we just couldn't understand what happened. Back in the day, Intellectual Property was still being understood in the courts. The primary developer, Martian (I wont mention his real name, he is a personal friend of mine), had a plan: Wait for the Trademark or IP to expire. After which, he began continuing development on 10six (now named Project Visitor)... He also bought the IP and Trademarks...

This will not be case for MxO, so one or two things could happen:

1. Approach the Wojo brothers and beg them to let us continue this game under their trademark and blessing (I dunno)
  2. Talk to Warner Bros (unlikely, not a big enough profit margin for them to wet their beaks, yet they make so much money from the Matrix franchise)
  3. Retag under some other title and change everything titled

I havent the time to look, but perhaps SOE is looking to firesale the source code or outsource the game?

I would recommend a Brazilian game company that is really good at doing this type of stuff: Hoplon.

In meantime, I hope someone brings a server up as I have my original disks and now have a hankering for wanting to play.

Good luck everyone and god bless you all.

PS:
As for authenication: As an IT pro, I believe that they are using either RSA or SSL encrytion to establish a roadwarrior VPN connection to their network (as do most games do). Perhaps creating and integrating self signed cert (or self generated RSA) and building a mechanism that installs these certs on clients???

Just throwing that out there for the gang to chew on or shoot me down with.

Messages In This Thread
Hi New guy here with some Wisdom - by Tstrike - 11-16-2009, 03:55 AM
RE: Hi New guy here with some Wisdom - by Noxton - 11-16-2009, 04:41 AM
RE: Hi New guy here with some Wisdom - by Tstrike - 11-16-2009, 05:43 AM
RE: Hi New guy here with some Wisdom - by Tstrike - 11-16-2009, 06:11 AM
RE: Hi New guy here with some Wisdom - by Neopill - 11-16-2009, 09:16 AM
RE: Hi New guy here with some Wisdom - by Euforia - 11-17-2009, 02:59 PM
RE: Hi New guy here with some Wisdom - by wolfdm3 - 11-18-2009, 08:09 AM
RE: Hi New guy here with some Wisdom - by Valaro - 12-14-2009, 10:37 PM