Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Agent smiths differ from the other Agents
02-10-2010, 05:09 AM,
RE: Agent smiths differ from the other Agents
(02-10-2010, 04:57 AM)Metalogic Wrote: I think programs are able to develop and become more self aware. If Smith was an Agent in the previous cycle, then maybe over time he was able to expand his programming like an exile expands their. When a program becomes an exile, they are no longer constricted by the machines programming. Maybe that's what happened to Smith, he became a quasi-exile. Maybe that's why he was chosen to balance out Neo.

Yet another system of control.
[Image: quisig.png]

The Source - The MxO Wiki related to everything MxO and its forthcoming emulators.
02-10-2010, 05:26 AM,
(02-10-2010, 05:09 AM)QuiDormit Wrote:
(02-10-2010, 04:57 AM)Metalogic Wrote: I think programs are able to develop and become more self aware. If Smith was an Agent in the previous cycle, then maybe over time he was able to expand his programming like an exile expands their. When a program becomes an exile, they are no longer constricted by the machines programming. Maybe that's what happened to Smith, he became a quasi-exile. Maybe that's why he was chosen to balance out Neo.

Yet another system of control.

Ok, can you expand on that please? I'm not seeing the connection. *laughs*
02-10-2010, 06:32 AM, (This post was last modified: 02-10-2010, 06:33 AM by QuiDormit.)
(02-10-2010, 05:26 AM)Metalogic Wrote: Ok, can you expand on that please? I'm not seeing the connection. *laughs*

(If you're being serious, then) I just mean that the only one who would have chosen Smith is the Oracle. Smith, in many ways, was Neo.

Neo's path taught him to value all sentience, be it human or program/machine. That's where they veered off course, and that's where the unbalance of the equation occurred. Otherwise, it would have just been Smith VS Neo in an all out "Whoever wins controls the Matrix" brawl. But it became about more than that for Neo, and as he fought for every single person that Smith had taken over, program and person alike, Smith fought to become the "one." The Alpha and Omega (at least in the simulation).

If it wasn't for Smith, Neo wouldn't have had jack shit to barter with the Deus Ex Machina, and so Smith was created (or allowed to go as far as he did, depends on your point of view) to be Neo's opposite and equal simultaneously. His purpose, his journey to power and beyond was all scripted so that Neo could use him as an excuse to create the Truce. Therefore, Smith is just another system of control. Specifically, he is a method to control the machines, to force them into bartering with Neo.

If you weren't serious, then, uh, don't mind me, I'm just rambling.

The Source - The MxO Wiki related to everything MxO and its forthcoming emulators.
02-10-2010, 07:22 AM, (This post was last modified: 02-10-2010, 07:23 AM by cloudwolf.)
It's a good point. If Smith was a planned part of the The One cycle (i.e. he was a completely natural bi-product) then what made it get powerful enough this time around to threaten the Machines and give Neo something to bargain with?

The key difference in all of this is Trinity. Thats where the cycle broke. The moment the situation was allowed to go past the point of reset Smith became too powerful to stop. Neo and Trinity coming together was The Oracle's doing.
02-10-2010, 07:56 AM,
I'm not sure... The One's purpose was supposed to end at the Source. It is stated several time, the purpose of the one was to save a handful of people to rebuild Zion, and sacrifice the rest. The Architect isn't able to predict something that doesn't go with logic, so I doubt this eventuality was anticipated by him.

As said before, maybe the Oracle did it, but I don't know... I always figured she influenced stuff with prediction, not creating rogue Agents. Truth is, we may never know.
[Image: Dee.jpg]

02-10-2010, 08:11 AM, (This post was last modified: 02-10-2010, 08:13 AM by QuiDormit.)
Sorry!

I meant that Smith was another system of control in general. Not that it was a system of control of the Architect's. He's not the only one pulling strings.

Pace, I agree with you, I think I was going off on a tangent before when I was talking about the Oracle's influence. However, like Smith said when he threw the plate of cookies, she spent the time baking them and placed them there precisely so he would throw the plate against the wall, fully knowing what she was doing.

That said, I think that she saw her change with Smith's runaway emotion train.

I also kind of think that her suggestion to Trinity that she would fall in love with the One was terribly leading and more than just a gentle nudge, for without Neo's love, he would have restarted the cycle all over again.

Everything she did, everything she said would lead inexorably to the final outcome. She carefully pruned the events like a Bonsai Tree. She was the catalyst that broke the cycle, everyone else was simply a chess piece that she strategically placed in the right place at the right time. That's not to say that everything went exactly according to plan. For instance, when Neo stopped the sentinels at the end of Reloaded, I think that wasn't supposed to happen based on her conversation with Neo. I bet that he wasn't supposed to figure that power out until he was blind to the real world and his programming allowed him to sense the machines.

Once again, theories theories.

02-10-2010, 08:27 AM, (This post was last modified: 02-10-2010, 08:42 AM by cloudwolf.)
Heres one for ya. Smith could'nt have known that Neo/Trinity were part of the Trinity program and Neo would be able to be revived when he shot him in that hallway. He shot him in cold blood knowing full well he'd die. But did he know he was The One for that cycle? If so, he would've been majorly screwing things over by killing The One before he was able get to the source.

Really I see a couple of theories.

1. Neo is born The One. His whole life is the result of the anomoly. In which case MxO's designation as him being part of the Trinity program is pretty darn lucky. Not only is he 1 in a billion for being part of a centuries long research project but also part of the 1% of the population who reject The Matrix as well as being 1 in a billion for being The One. Pretty special guy.

Problem with this being Smith as his equal and opposite. Smith existed before Neo was even born. Unless The One somehow choses a being to act as a counter on creation, I doubt this can be a possibility.

2. Following the above except for the fact The One program remains entirely dormant until release, at which time it chooses an opposite. Smith just so happened to be the one Neo jumped into upon revival.

3. Neo is born as a human being who happens to be part of the Trinity program, he is made The One later by The Oracle (who is in charge of the cycle, selecting a carrier of The One program when it's natural culmination has reached critical). She targets Neo specifically due to being part of the Trinity program. She knows full well the two candidates will fall in love (a little nudge never hurt) and mess up the cycle. Smith is either selected specifically as the counter or is bi-product as mentioned above.
02-10-2010, 09:40 AM,
I think Smith was either a bi-product or Oracle selected him. Mainly because I do believe that he has survived previous cycles, and I doubt the previous ones had a "Smith".
02-10-2010, 09:47 AM,
Oracle: You're a bastard.
Smith: You would know, mom.
02-10-2010, 09:57 AM,
(02-10-2010, 09:47 AM)rajkosto Wrote: Oracle: You're a bastard.
Smith: You would know, mom.

I actually brought that up back in DN1.

http://forums.station.sony.com/mxo/posts...6300008545

Apparently it's suppose to be an insult.

RainKingX Wrote:It's a modified "your momma" joke. In this past, this was a retort from someone who called you a bastard, a fatherless son. It basically means your mom sleeps around.