Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Agent smiths differ from the other Agents
02-10-2010, 04:14 AM, (This post was last modified: 02-10-2010, 04:21 AM by QuiDormit.)
RE: Agent smiths differ from the other Agents
I'll try to keep this short and reasonable... dunno how good at that I am though :-D.

The thing about Smith is that we never see or learn anything at all about him from before... from the prior versions of the Matrix.

It all comes back to the Oracle. Everything comes back to the Oracle.

I don't think that she gave Neo his powers of the One based on the Architect's statements. I think that the Cookie was actually a portion of "the Oracle's eyes," or the ability to see the world without time. Remember, the Mero said that the Eyes couldn't be taken, they had to be given... Anyway, I honestly don't think that premonition is a part of The One's normal arsenal, I think it was an addition. Why would the Oracle give him the gift of foresight? So that he would choose Trinity over the rest of humanity. As for the powers of the One, well the One is just the One. He's the anomaly, the sum of the 1%. Controllable through lies of prophecy and his connection to humanity.

Also, the Oracle isn't the nice old lady she wants to be. Honestly, I think when she said, "you can't see past a choice you don't understand," what she was really saying was, "You can't see past a choice *I* can't understand." (That is, if she gave him the sight, as I assume she did. His power of sight was based on HER programming, and since she was the cook stirring the pot and adding the ingredients from beginning to end, well, I just think that the manipulator only let Neo see what she wanted him to see.)

Even a program as powerful as the Oracle cannot just, on a whim, say "let's break the war and stuff!" I'd dare to say that she's been planning this truce since the first or second iteration of the Cycle of the One. I think that, like a master chess player, she's been positioning her pieces for some time. Just waiting for the moment when her opponent's attention is focused elsewhere.

We KNOW that she gave Neo a little code booster, but we have no idea what she's done in the past. Since we've never seen anything directly related to Smith prior to when Neo was (I think he's like 40-45 in the movie, right?) shown, we have no idea what Smith has been through throughout his work as an Agent.

Personally, I think that she had found a way to meddle with Smith. It's not unimaginable to see programs feel emotions (which as I've said before is the whole point of Sati's parents little talk with Neo). We've seen Persephone long for the love that the Merovingian used to have for her.

Since we don't know whether or not the Oracle directly or indirectly (or even at all) influenced Smith, we'll just say for the sake of argument that he developed his hatred for the Matrix and the puny humans all on his own. Personally, I think that the Agent programs are reset along with the Matrix. Either that, or the Wachowski's left a gaping hole in their plot (which I don't think they did). Specifically when Smith interrogated Morpheus. Afterall, Smith would know that destroying Zion would be a temporary solution in the first movie, right? Why is he so hardcore on getting into Zion's mainframe if he already knows that the Machines will send a sentinel for every man, woman, and child to wipe those cave monkey's the hell out?

And this is where you say, "BUT BUT BUT Smith said, 'It's happening exactly as before.' 'Well, not EXACTLY.'"
Well then maybe the WBros did fuck up, but I'd bet that maybe, just maybe he gained a heightened awareness once Neo blew him the fuck up.

I'm going to make up a theory that just came to me. It is a reach, I admit, but hey, it actually does kind of make sense.
What if someone made a deal with Smith. Maybe Smith was promised that if he got the keys to Zion's mainframe, he could get out. Once he blew it up, fulfilling his purpose, of course. We all know of a certain Program with a penchant for offering programs the things he/she wants. So who's to say Smith didn't already have a deal with the Mero? Maybe that was why Smith's purpose this time around was to flush Morpheus out and get those codes. Maybe Smith KNEW about the cycle but had other reasons to say the things he said to Morpheus in the government building.

Or maybe I'm full of shit and it was all just bully tactics to get Morpheus to spill his guts. I just find it a glaring hole in the story that previously, Smith didn't seem to know about the cycle, and then he suddenly did. Brushing it off as "he lied" seems to simplistic for the depths that the story goes to in so many other areas, however sometimes people over think things and the simplest answers are the right ones.

Regardless, the fact that we still regularly talk about this story at all shows how much the WBros really left up to personal interpretation, and that's awesome. I wish more movies treated the audience like they had a modicum of intelligence.
[Image: quisig.png]

The Source - The MxO Wiki related to everything MxO and its forthcoming emulators.
02-10-2010, 04:22 AM,
Hmmm, did they ever explained what would be achieved if the Machines could get inside Zion's Mainframe?
02-10-2010, 04:24 AM,
(02-10-2010, 04:22 AM)Metalogic Wrote: Hmmm, did they ever explained what would be achieved if the Machines could get inside Zion's Mainframe?

You know, when you put it that way, I suppose that they could get a list of potentials? To stop the One before it started?

The Source - The MxO Wiki related to everything MxO and its forthcoming emulators.
02-10-2010, 04:30 AM,
(02-10-2010, 04:24 AM)QuiDormit Wrote:
(02-10-2010, 04:22 AM)Metalogic Wrote: Hmmm, did they ever explained what would be achieved if the Machines could get inside Zion's Mainframe?

You know, when you put it that way, I suppose that they could get a list of potentials? To stop the One before it started?

Well I was thinking it would get the machines unlimited access to Zion. Both in the virtual world (IE their database) and in the real. In Reloaded we see that Zion has a computer system set up to determine whether or not an incoming if a friendly hovercraft or Squiggy.

What I'm getting at, is that maybe Smith does know about the cycle, and maybe he knows that if he gets access to Zion's mainframe that it'd allow the machines to have a free for all.

Or maybe the machines told him that if he gets access to Zion's mainframe that they'll kill all the humans, and there would be no more need for The Matrix.

Of course, Smith's statement in Reloaded about it all happening as it did before leads me to believe that he does know about the cycle.

Maybe we're just reading too much into the whole Smith character? *laughs*
02-10-2010, 04:38 AM,
(02-10-2010, 04:30 AM)Metalogic Wrote: Maybe we're just reading too much into the whole Smith character? *laughs*

THAT is the peril of discussing the Matrix!

It's so hard to know when some things are there for symbolism, for some specific purpose, or just because that's how it is.

02-10-2010, 04:39 AM, (This post was last modified: 02-10-2010, 04:48 AM by cloudwolf.)

See Cinematic 8.3

But yeah, the thing about Smith not knowing about the cycle then suddenly knowing is touchy. Same with the upgraded agents in Reloaded referring to Neo as the anomoly. How much do agents of the system really know? The clearest motivation for Smith in M1 is getting mainframe access to facilitate the destruction of Zion so he can removed from the system. Tbh, it doesn't matter if he knew about the cycle at that stage. Even if he did, he was just working on getting Zion destroyed faster than the cycle normally dictates. He wanted Zion destroyed before the emergence of The One. This would've messed up the cycle and stopped him being re-deployed to work with humans again in re-do number 7.
02-10-2010, 04:44 AM,
(02-10-2010, 04:39 AM)cloudwolf Wrote:

See Cinematic 8.3

Looks like I was right, it'd allow them to have a free for all.
02-10-2010, 04:49 AM,
(02-10-2010, 04:44 AM)Metalogic Wrote:
(02-10-2010, 04:39 AM)cloudwolf Wrote:

See Cinematic 8.3

Looks like I was right, it'd allow them to have a free for all.

Yeah, a more efficient way of removing the festering boil that is Zion, I suppose. Can't get much more efficient than shutting down all of Zion's protections and systems and turning them into sitting ducks... well even moreso than they already were.

Hell, if they wanted, they could shut down all of the life support and all of the young/weak would die quickly, and they wouldn't have to spend nearly as many resources on the wipe.

02-10-2010, 04:54 AM,
(02-10-2010, 04:49 AM)QuiDormit Wrote: Hell, if they wanted, they could shut down all of the life support and all of the young/weak would die quickly, and they wouldn't have to spend nearly as many resources on the wipe.

This is exactly Smith's interest. Provide a better solution to the cycle and get out of The Matrix. Who knows how it would've actually worked out for him but I think that was his intent.
02-10-2010, 04:57 AM,
(02-10-2010, 04:54 AM)cloudwolf Wrote:
(02-10-2010, 04:49 AM)QuiDormit Wrote: Hell, if they wanted, they could shut down all of the life support and all of the young/weak would die quickly, and they wouldn't have to spend nearly as many resources on the wipe.

This is exactly Smith's interest. Provide a better solution to the cycle and get out of The Matrix. Who knows how it would've actually worked out for him but I think that was his intent.

I think programs are able to develop and become more self aware. If Smith was an Agent in the previous cycle, then maybe over time he was able to expand his programming like an exile expands their. When a program becomes an exile, they are no longer constricted by the machines programming. Maybe that's what happened to Smith, he became a quasi-exile. Maybe that's why he was chosen to balance out Neo.