Users browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Agent smiths differ from the other Agents
02-10-2010, 12:43 AM, (This post was last modified: 02-10-2010, 12:51 AM by spazztastics.)
Agent smiths differ from the other Agents
There's one thing that I always wondered about the Matrix Movies.. Agent Smith always (from the first movie forward) seem to have more consciousness then the other agents which made him a perfect arch villain. While the other agents was more unintelligent 'robot-like' and seemed to act only like a antivirus system which purpose was to keep the system clean from viruses (neo and the gang), Smith was always on a personal crusade against the humans. Everytime in the movies he seemed like he wanted to break free from the system so he could get rid of any human alive.

Which comes down to my question; why did Agent Smith had a greater consciousness then the rest of the Agents? Where there any system benefits from this, or was it simply because he needed to have a mind to be the arch villain in the movies?
I'm confused because the other agents seem like they don't have any own mind. They're just programs who are not either good or evil. Smith always knows about what the Matrix is and what his limits are, so is Smith maybe really a human and the only human of the agents?

Maybe Neo isn't 'The One', maybe Smith is? o.O

Any help clearing out of this matter would save me some more restless nights xD
We are in Ravens room. We should not be in Ravens room...
02-10-2010, 01:30 AM,
RE: Agent smiths differ from the other Agents
Smith is Neo's opposite, his negative. As Neo grew in power so did Smith. It's an equation trying to balance itself out.
02-10-2010, 01:50 AM,
It's an interesting subject. What made Neo "The One"?

We know both he and Trinity were genetically special, engineered so that they were able to interface directly with machines (whether they knew it or not) yet Trinity didn't have any powers over the simulation (that she, or we, know of). So "The One" program must be a seperate entity. At what point did Neo retrieve it? From birth? Was it his destiny? Or was it something else? My personal bets always been on the cookie the Oracle gave him. She knew about the Trinity Program and needed to wait until the two found eachother, she then screwed over the machines by making "The One" someone with the program installed. All part of her plan for peace.

The repercussions this has on the "Equal/Opposite" theory are interesting. When did Smith start to develop independant tendancies? How was he selected as the opposite? Is there an equivilant for Trinity? Pace perhaps?
02-10-2010, 02:00 AM, (This post was last modified: 02-10-2010, 02:25 AM by spazztastics.)
(02-10-2010, 01:30 AM)Metalogic Wrote: Smith is Neo's opposite, his negative. As Neo grew in power so did Smith. It's an equation trying to balance itself out.

He is, but Smith also seem to be self aware of his existence all the time! Already when he sit down with Neo in the first movie and wants Neo to reveal Morpheus location which occur way before Neo even knows anything about the Matrix, Smith shows that he is a man that doesn't posess great patience. Patience = emotions. He acts completely different from the other agents in that room. In the first movie I get the intention that Smith always have been self aware but that he has to obey to some rules in order to exist in the Matrix. To add to this when Smith holds Morpheus captured, he disconnect himself from the agents communications and reveals his hate against the human race calling them 'viruses' and when another agent steps into the room Smith tries to cover what he have done to Morpheus from the other agent.
After Neo defeats Smith, Smith finally finds his way to break out of the Matrix and go on his own personal crusade against the humans and all other that are in his way. Smith just doesn't seem to ever have any allegiance to any faction in the Matrix. He acts like he is his own and in no way similar to the other agents. He acts like a.. human?

--
--

I agree with that Cloudwolf, the cookie must definatly have some great importance. In the last movie and the battle Smith vs Neo, Smith holds the same power and maybe even more as Neo, so I guess that the both of them could be The One but that Smith chooses to use his power for his own vanity.
02-10-2010, 02:22 AM,
It always seemed to me that Smith was "leader" of the agents, so maybe he was a better program, or maybe an older program. In the beginning of "Reloaded" he makes the comment that it's all happening like it did before (or something to that effect) and he talks about the first version of the Matrix when he's interrogating Morpheus. All of which lead me to believe he's lived through some, if not all, of the previous iterations of the Matrix.
[Image: fhsig.jpg]
02-10-2010, 02:26 AM,
(02-10-2010, 02:22 AM)Broker Wrote: It always seemed to me that Smith was "leader" of the agents, so maybe he was a better program, or maybe an older program. In the beginning of "Reloaded" he makes the comment that it's all happening like it did before (or something to that effect) and he talks about the first version of the Matrix when he's interrogating Morpheus. All of which lead me to believe he's lived through some, if not all, of the previous iterations of the Matrix.

I agree, so it's more likely that because he is a much older program that he just naturally became "self-aware" as most sci-fi writers say. They claim this is when an AI because "alive"
[Image: fs.png]
Need a program? a Film? A Series? PM me and I will try and get it ya
02-10-2010, 02:31 AM, (This post was last modified: 02-10-2010, 02:39 AM by spazztastics.)
(02-10-2010, 02:22 AM)Broker Wrote: It always seemed to me that Smith was "leader" of the agents, so maybe he was a better program, or maybe an older program. In the beginning of "Reloaded" he makes the comment that it's all happening like it did before (or something to that effect) and he talks about the first version of the Matrix when he's interrogating Morpheus. All of which lead me to believe he's lived through some, if not all, of the previous iterations of the Matrix.

But does that explain why he has emotions already in the first movie? Programs usually doesn't have emotions and even if you 'create a certain response in certain situations' Smith is the only agent with this self awareness. I would agree with this if he got his emotion after he is destroyed and broken out of the rules but he has emotions already in the first movie.
I thought that the agents was just programs that didn't have any opinion or will of their own, which the other agents are also. Smiths hate as i see it lies in that he constantly tries to get out of the Matrix and be his own but he isn't given the chance until Neo destroys him and alter his code. And that's why he hates humans it seems, because humans does have a choice (either be a part of matrix or get out) which he has not. Just saying .. No other agent thinks like Smith.

(02-10-2010, 02:26 AM)Twaggy Wrote: I agree, so it's more likely that because he is a much older program that he just naturally became "self-aware" as most sci-fi writers say. They claim this is when an AI because "alive"

This sound convincing and I'm still wondering wether Smith just as Neo does in fact have the chance to be The One.
02-10-2010, 03:20 AM,
When the Oracle said that the Architect balances the equations that always led me to believe that the Architect had written Smith a little differently than the other Agents. Smith was the Architect's answer to Neo. "The equation trying to balance itself out."

Maybe Smith was selected because of his hatred for humans.
02-10-2010, 03:31 AM, (This post was last modified: 02-10-2010, 03:37 AM by Metalogic.)

I believe so. In Revolutions, Seraph made a comment that he has beaten Smith before.
(02-10-2010, 03:20 AM)Vesuveus Wrote: When the Oracle said that the Architect balances the equations that always led me to believe that the Architect had written Smith a little differently than the other Agents. Smith was the Architect's answer to Neo. "The equation trying to balance itself out."

Maybe Smith was selected because of his hatred for humans.

I'd modify this a bit. Smith was chosen, but I don't think The Architect's chose him directly. From The Matrix to Revolutions, Smith and Neo were always equal. Remember, in Reloaded The Architect said this:

The Architect Wrote:Precisely. As you are undoubtedly gathering, the anomaly's systemic, creating fluctuations in even the most simplistic equations.

It's just in the coding of The Matrix, when Neo arrived and started to become The One, Smith started to become more self aware. Hence the system trying to balance the equation.
02-10-2010, 04:11 AM,
I like the point of maybe he hated humans for the fact that they all have a choice whereas as an Agent he doesn't.

I would say why is it possible for a Sentinel (The Agents of the Real) named the General and his bad ass group of mercs, capable of Entering The Matrix, and yet why would it not be possible for an Agent in the Matrix to do the same thing? Was there a way out? Were theses simply mind games set out by Smith? Or could it be that he wasn't aware of the "wow I got owned in The real lets all go to DA MATRICKS AND KICK JADA PINKETTS ASS IN THERE"! Concept?