Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Even more story ideas
02-06-2010, 04:41 AM,
RE: Even more story ideas
(02-06-2010, 04:20 AM)Metalogic Wrote: The only problem with taking the storyline in the real, was that you couldn't take the player base to the real too.
Great point. In the movie, you can take show the audience the real, essentially taking them there. With the game, people need to go there, and that just wasn't going to happen. Which made me feel like I had even less of an impact on the story then I already did.
02-06-2010, 07:10 AM,
(02-06-2010, 04:41 AM)Tornadic Wrote: Which made me feel like I had even less of an impact on the story then I already did.

This is why I brought up the idea of an open ended storyline. I want the players to have more of an impact, I want the players to feel like doing the mission and attending live events actually matter.
02-06-2010, 07:13 AM,
(02-06-2010, 07:10 AM)Metalogic Wrote: This is why I brought up the idea of an open ended storyline. I want the players to have more of an impact, I want the players to feel like doing the mission and attending live events actually matter.

Ideally, that would be perfect. But realistically, as someone said before, this would require a lot more work, and maybe even some improvisation from the part of the writters. Planning multiple scenarios at the same time is possible, but would require more time, hence less events.

Maybe starting with key events being open ended, but not all of them. At least not while we aren't comfortable with the new LET.
[Image: Dee.jpg]

02-06-2010, 12:53 PM,
I have to be a pessimist here. I feel that my posts are pessimistic, but realistic.

We may have to accept a lower standard of story participation for an amount of time. Monolith had the desire and the means to do it. There were people who's full time job was to play as LET characters and bring the community into the storyline. Updates, meetings, invitations to live events, etc. were done by main characters. I would love for a volunteer to take this approach, but no one can be expected to keep this level of immersion as a volunteer.

For the single writer approach with 2 advisors, only the outline would have to be approved, not a detailed story arc. That way changes are easier to make.

Another thing is that wherever the story goes, some of us may not like it and that's okay. It is just unfortunate that the official MxO storyline sucked in some spots and particularly toward the end because it was supposed to be canon and we paid for it. But some people did like the Oligarch storyline. I went along with it, but was not too interested.
02-06-2010, 03:47 PM,
I don't find that pessimistic at all, Vesuveus. It's very true, none of us can put the same amount of work into the story and live events as the original Monolith team. That wouldn't be a realistic goal.

What we could do, though, is make the fewer events we have bring more impact to the storyline, as Metalogic already suggested. In a way that half of them are not just following some guy around while he talks for an hour, like it used to be back in SOE's day. That would save us time and effort.

And of course, I believe that screenshots of archives would be necessary, so that people who missed them can still follow around. Varying the time period of the events, also, so it isn't always the same people who can attend, while the others are always working or sleeping.
[Image: Dee.jpg]

02-08-2010, 01:38 AM,
Talk of LETs and LESIGs make me remember when I tried to pull off my own event. Much harder than I expected. Though it went ok for those few who did get involved methinks. Too much planning, not enough execution. Think I'll stick to personal text-based RP in the future.
02-17-2010, 05:53 AM, (This post was last modified: 02-17-2010, 05:57 AM by Barloke.)
I do agree that a writing team shouldn't be two big (three is a pretty good number that at least you'd get a pretty even vote) I would however suggest a suggestion box of sorts just to get some ideas out. For me though alot of aspects of AB worked for me . They used youtube for their "cinematics" they had their own websites where some main characters could converse with you as well as some of the invented characters and they had rsi counterparts (although it was hard being intimidated by a level 10 character while you're 50).

Pros and Cons to the situation and this is just my opinion based on to what I have read so far from this thread is that.

PRO- Unlike Algorithim Black there are resources available to make new characters (RSI's) that won't start off as a low level and may actually come with some special abilities. That would help with the visiual imagery i think.

CON- Unlike WB any character made or one of the main characters used (Like the Merv , Oracle, Morpheus, etc) is going to be handled by volunteers and like everyone is implying this could open a whole new can of worms if it's done wrong such as identities and plots leaked plus favoritism comes to mind.

PRO - If we have special events (say once every two months on the safe side ) those events would have to be well thought out and planned. AB for all the problems it was having the storyline wasn't half bad. If the story is well thought out and DOES plan for contingencies in the plot and is loose enough to handle the unexpected it should be a pretty cool event.

CON- Again it's like we are our worst enemy when it comes to this stuff. The more people involved with making the event (and although it makes the job easier) the more chance that something goes wrong with the identities of the actors or the storyline plot getting leaked out.

The only solution i can see for now (and again this is my opinion) is to start small. If we start out with three writers , great , but let them have control of the main characters (and any main characters they want to make up) use whatever resources they have to get us aware of the story and where we are in the event. Like for instance it could be something as simple as one sentence in the forums or even contacting one player or a small group to go somewhere (of course we all are going to blab to the world who we saw and what we were doing, lets be honest folks but that's the point).

Later if the writers need more help with characters they could screen applicants but my humble suggestion would be this... If you are to control a main character or one invented by the writers that's it. If you have characters on MXO they are going to die. Like if i wanted to be Flood i would have to kill off Barloke.

Another thing that would come to mind is if you are a known Merv for example , you would have access to only the characters and storyline from the other two orgs. (So me again for example could only play from the Zion or Machine standpoint).

It isn't a perfect solution but I think it would reduce the risk of anyone blabbing the storyline out or screwing it up for anyone else. Plus if you have these stipulations up front at least you know who is real serious about playing a main character and yeah its a little harsh but probably necesary.
[Image: Barloke3copy.jpg]
02-23-2010, 08:22 AM,
I would like the EMU to re trace MxO's old roots, by the end of it all I felt like I was in a completely different game and had no idea what was going on. I think the best way to do it would be to

- pick a main storyline to roll with
- have relationships between orgs flourish as a result of this main story

by focussing on just one arc I think things will organically evolve, character backgrounds, relationships, etc

I would like to see Ookami and Malphas brought back back to there former glory though, rather than just gimmicky henchman, actually attempt to overthrow the Merovingian and control groups. I enjoyed Nightfall Big Grin