Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Even more story ideas
02-05-2010, 07:31 AM, (This post was last modified: 02-05-2010, 07:33 AM by Tornadic.)
Even more story ideas
I know the idea was posted before of what to do about the story from MxO till when the Emu launches.

Here's my idea:

No, movie characters or mention of MxO's story. I'm talking total ret-con here.

Then, a few kind souls with fraps film and dub new story "arcs" based around Players. You start with events and leave the rest to the RPer's, then you script a chain of missions (like the archive ones except these can just be rolled missions with new text and maybe a special spawn or two) for the faction members to play out.

For example:
Familia Gregoria (a big RP Merv faction from recursion) gets wind that the machines are going to delete the exiles from their ranks. The group chosen to carry out this task is The Collective (a recursion machine faction).

Both factions engage in some PVP and complete some special missions, trying to fulfill their objectives. Then you end all sitcom style so that nothing really changes.
Ending:
Just as the machine Operative close in on the exiles, their programs acquire even stronger encryptions, saving them from deletion....For now.

Then start another angle between two other teams of people, of course all operatives that work for the same side (zion, machine, exiles) can put aside their differences and work together, or subvert if they choose to.

So what say you of this story telling style?
02-05-2010, 08:28 AM,
RE: Even more story ideas
A lot better than pew pew laz0r eyes and epic storylines that doesn't deliver!
02-05-2010, 08:36 AM,
i want all the things that you could have done the last day they shut down the thing.

from that part to the future... maybe.
02-05-2010, 08:51 AM,
Never been a big fan of retcon, but the idea is interesting! Though I'd prefer we kept going with the existing storyline.
[Image: Dee.jpg]

02-05-2010, 09:54 AM,
I dunno the "existing" storyline would be too SOE. I think it would be better to do our own sotyrline. Where we are given a BASIC idea and have to vote on it!

Zia. What a district (random). The district that makes me feel most at home Smile
02-05-2010, 10:07 AM,
I don't understand the "too SOE" comment. You think there's legal implications to carrying on a storyline that got dumped by a company? It's little more than fan fiction. Finish the Oligarch arc (in some reasonable manner, not just 'they died') THEN we can do whatever we want. Not a fan of leaving things half done. Then again, I'm not in charge and any real story content that comes out of MxOEmu won't hold too much weight with me. Rare's outlines are the closest thing we'll ever have to an official or "canon" conclusion to all this.
02-05-2010, 10:19 AM,
First: No offense to anyone out there!

Ok, on to my ramble.

I kind of like Tornadic's idea if only because I don't know who I'd trust to run the storyline characters. There, I said it.

Personally, I'd want to be heavily involved in the story, but I don't know if I have time. And who's to even say that I'd do the story enough justice? Actually, that gave me a great idea, but I'll get to that later.

However, I agree with Cloudwolf.

I put a lot of time and energy and heart into my characters, and then to suddenly rip the rug out from under them and pretend that things didn't happen (some of which directly involved my character to act out the way he did), I wouldn't even know how to fix that. Me, I plan on picking up right where I left off (for the most part). Love it or hate it, Rare's story was the real MxO story. Period.

The only other thing I could possibly agree to was starting from scratch (still using the story characters) and trying to recreate all of it. If we adhered to what was already lain out there, well then it wouldn't matter who was "in charge" of the story.

No one can just take the reigns and just say "oh, i write teh story hai!" I think that perhaps we should vote on a panel of people to judge (who, ideally, would not want to participate in writing the story, but in the actual events themselves) and then have people submit writings of some sort and have that panel vote. It's rough, and needs some more thought, but it was just off the top. I don't think we have to really worry about storylines for some time, so this isn't by any means a crucial thing to decide.

Alternatively, if Morph is still considering providing the code for multiple servers, well then I'll just run my own with my own stories, and also participate in some level with my characters (not the storyline characters) when I can.

Meh, not really that important yet.
[Image: quisig.png]

The Source - The MxO Wiki related to everything MxO and its forthcoming emulators.
02-05-2010, 10:22 AM, (This post was last modified: 02-05-2010, 10:29 AM by EichDee.)
(02-05-2010, 10:07 AM)cloudwolf Wrote: I don't understand the "too SOE" comment. You think there's legal implications to carrying on a storyline that got dumped by a company? It's little more than fan fiction. Finish the Oligarch arc (in some reasonable manner, not just 'they died') THEN we can do whatever we want.

Exactly. I know the story went a little downhill near the end, but still, using retcon on everything and starting fresh would feel... well, unsatisfactory.

However, the future LET will be in control of the story, so there is still a possibility to turn the oligarch story into something really good. From there, we finish it beautifully, and move on to something else.

In the end, it would still be the "let's do our own storyline" while not dismissing the original one. In my opinion, the best way to do this.

(02-05-2010, 10:19 AM)QuiDormit Wrote: No one can just take the reigns and just say "oh, i write teh story hai!" I think that perhaps we should vote on a panel of people to judge (who, ideally, would not want to participate in writing the story, but in the actual events themselves) and then have people submit writings of some sort and have that panel vote. It's rough, and needs some more thought, but it was just off the top. I don't think we have to really worry about storylines for some time, so this isn't by any means a crucial thing to decide.

I agree here too. I wouldn't want the storyline to go haywire because the people in charge got too carried away. When the time will come to choose the LET and writers - if they aren't the same - there should be a big "interview" of some kind, either by votes or chosen specifically by the devs, before deciding who will be in and who won't.

But then again, I get the feeling no matter who will be chosen, some people will disagree, and we'll have frequent threads complaining about it.
[Image: Dee.jpg]

02-05-2010, 10:28 AM,
The I don't understand the SOE part. Screw legal mumbo-jumbo, I mean it just seems like they stuck a dagger into the heart of MxO and twisted while pouring salt on the wound. I just didn't think players would choose to go with a story implemented by that company. Obviously I was wrong. Sorry folks.
02-05-2010, 10:32 AM,
This is a tough topic, but I think 1 or 3 people should have total control. Maybe the writer and a panel of 2 so that a majority will rule. Any more than 3 you're just asking for trouble.

In addition, there can be a LET that actually carry out the story IC that can be more than 3. But creatively, there have got to be limits on how many people influence the long term storyline.