Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The last thing I have to say.
01-30-2010, 01:12 AM,
The last thing I have to say.
This is going to be a long post, and probably the last I have to say on the subject. (thank GOD, amiright?)
(01-29-2010, 12:25 PM)Khem1kal Wrote: In an ideal world, this solution would make absolute sense, unfortunately it's not and I have to agree that the chances of WB agreeing to such a proposal are slim to none and furthermore, no matter how cautious the pitch was, someone may get a sniff of something and it would be game-over.
This, This is all I was ever looking to hear. It makes sense.
But to fuel the paranoia and skepticism, what makes you think 2 days after this goes live you won't be hearing from WB? That the story "Fans love game so much, they re code the game from scratch" Won't get picked up by gaming media?

But the most obvious point to all this is: They don't give a shit. Not now, anyway. If they ever figure out about MxOEmu (increasingly likely the closer this comes to completion) it goes 1 of 2 ways.
1) They shut you down. (this is not me saying I'm going to rat you guys out, I've never said I will, and I don't intend to)

2) They realize that a market still exists for this game and start shopping the rights around. Some company who's just interested in cashing checks, not making this game all it can be buys (or rents Tongue) those rights, like, say, SOE, then they shut you down. And we're back to square 1

Also, for all you worried, MxOEmu is on wiki. One wiki search by anyone that wants to shut something like this down, and it's all over.

Now, as for this:
(01-29-2010, 06:28 PM)Neo VII Wrote: My question for you Tornadic is, why now?

Where were you with this idea six months ago, when it was slightly more feasible and would sound marginally less ridiculous?

You wait until Morpheus, Raj, and Co. waste six months developing something, that should be just thrown away?

Where's your logic there?

Not to mention, from your first post on this thread, through your last, your "plan" and "prices" keep changing.

...and for the record, any hostility in my tone, or anyone else, comes from people like you, that show up randomly, convinced that you have some kind of magic plan to persuade CEOs, basically millionaire paper pushers, to give a shit about something we love, but they could care less about. Not to mention, you have no considerable sum of money to throw at the project yourself. If you where some million playboy tech nerd, that wanted to throw some of his trust fund money at the idea and be our savior, I'd welcome you with open arms, but your not. I agree with the others. This post should be closed.

I think it's a bad idea.
I don't think you really care at all about MxO and I don't believe a word you say.
Why, now? Well I just didn't think about it back then. Not that any of you are going to care, but here's my entire motivation.

I plan to open a business someday, It's basically a game store. I'm going to fix video game retail (anyone who's been to/works at a game stop knows how fucked up the current system is). In a perfect world I'd generate enough profit to finance MxO's Revival. As such even on a fast tracked (best possible scenario) plan, turning a profit is still a bout 1 year away, and financing a MMO is about 3 years out.

I love MxO, It's the best designed MMO ever made five years ago this game had fixed problems that still plague most mmo's (horrible grind, samey missions, character individuality). I KNOW this game can be bigger than SOE thought it was. 6 months after this game closed and there's STILL a community for it. Tabula Rasa on the other hand, closed feb '09 and their emulator forums only have 19 registered members.

Where was I six months ago? I was sad that the game was dying. I assumed (like most of you probably did), that there just wasn't a community for this I (we) were all very, very, wrong. It's a general consensus that this game died mostly due to it not being backed by SOE in any capacity, ever, really. If I remember correctly, the reason Monolith sold out to SOE is because they couldn't keep up, there's a market for this, I just wasn't thinking about it before.

I didn't intentionally wait for six months to say this. I'm not twirling my handlebar mustache going "Nyah Ha Ha, I'll let those fools work on a project for half a year then BAM! make them stop, I'm so evil, I'm going to go tie a damsel to some train tracks" Although the fact that you would say that they would have to throw away their work tells me that you think that this has a glimmer of hope (I'm probably wrong on this, But I'd like not to be).

The "plan" was and still is to rent the rights to operate MxO for 30% gross revenue the game generates. The "prices" I have always been working with is a $10 monthly sub fee (30% to WB leave us with $7 net per sub).

As far as not being able to convince the millionaires, well the whole plan hinges on it. Their whole job is to make money. I'm basically telling them "let me write you checks please" Why, why would they object to that? I'm not going to rent the rights to The Matrix just the rights to operate The Matrix Online. Those are two very different things.

As far as you saying that you don't believe what I say, and if I was a millionaire you'd listen. I doubt it. If I showed up and said "Hi I have millions if dollars I want to spend to Make MxO operational again, as what's left of the MxO community, how do you feel about this?" I guarantee you'd (not you specifically but this community as a whole) call me a liar, ask me to prove it, and tell me to go fuck myself.
Actually "I don't think you really care about MxO And I don't believe you." quite sums up what I think you'd say to a millionaire who showed up on these forums.

In summary,
I had an idea, I thought (and still believe) there is a market for this game, I KNOW it's sustainable and profitable if you just got the word out. I thought "who better to be at the helm of reviving this neglected game than fans who know how to code" It certainly works for blizzard (don't try to tell me WoW is better is some other way than MxO, It's not. It's just run by people who love Warcraft.) . I'm sorry I'm business minded, and think in numbers. I have to be if ever plan on starting my own business someday.

The sentiment "we shouldn't have to pay/who would want to pay" for the MxOE project makes sense. However, that was never my proposal. My proposal was to Revive MxO (the game we used to play), pay the MxOE devs to work on it full time (and fix what SOE broke), and some members of the MxO community to write a new story. I didn't think I'd get so much hate over this.

I guess I thought that I'd hear something like "it's possible, but the execs would never go for it" Which I did, although I did learn one very game changing fact.

I don't have to talk to SOE, I have to talk to WB.

And that changes everything.

Sorry, for wasting your time. I still think my idea can work.

Eli (I'm a dude btw)

(note to admins: If you want to move this to a post in I haz and idea or close this thread that's fine. I'd like it not to be deleted, it's just the last thing I have to say about this.)

Messages In This Thread
The last thing I have to say. - by Tornadic - 01-30-2010, 01:12 AM
RE: The last thing I have to say. - by rajkosto - 01-30-2010, 01:17 AM
RE: The last thing I have to say. - by QuiDormit - 01-30-2010, 02:25 AM
RE: The last thing I have to say. - by Valaro - 01-30-2010, 01:41 AM
RE: The last thing I have to say. - by Neo VII - 01-30-2010, 02:47 AM
RE: The last thing I have to say. - by Twaggy - 01-30-2010, 02:12 AM
RE: The last thing I have to say. - by Rxu - 01-30-2010, 02:26 AM
RE: The last thing I have to say. - by Yamakuzy - 01-30-2010, 02:35 AM
RE: The last thing I have to say. - by Valaro - 01-30-2010, 02:38 AM
RE: The last thing I have to say. - by Twaggy - 01-30-2010, 02:39 AM
RE: The last thing I have to say. - by Vesuveus - 01-30-2010, 02:46 AM