Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
its absolutely ridiculous.
02-05-2010, 05:55 AM, (This post was last modified: 02-05-2010, 06:01 AM by QuiDormit.)
RE: its absolutely ridiculous.
(02-05-2010, 04:46 AM)Gryn Wrote:
(02-05-2010, 04:20 AM)Tornadic Wrote:
(02-05-2010, 03:49 AM)Gryn Wrote: WB has already given them what they want and won't take DCU away for any reason, so why not give the fans the source? It makes no sense to me.

Because someone else might make money off it, and they can't have that.

My question is, what incentive did SOE have to shut it down? Like others have said, they could have just left MxO limping along on one server with little or no dev support, and kept it as another game you get access to when you cough up the money for the station pass.

You are right, and I thought about that too. One of my MxO buddies was totally loaded and tried to secure the rights to MxO to host a purely non profit server and they still wouldn't go for it. The bastards are content to just keeping MxO for themselves without using it for anything.

SOE had always intended to shut down MxO. My guess is they had no intention of raising a step-child that they themselves didn't create. Also, we don't know if there was any pressure by WB to shut it down.

On top of that, they have made a sick amount of money from the franchise. Super sick. Putting the game and the franchise on hold for a while in general and breaking it back out at a later date will make them so much more money than they'd ever get from selling it to some dude.

They just want to retain the ability to make more money than anyone else.

Stupid corporations.

Also, and I've said this somewhere else, you have to look at the legal aspect involved. WBIE controls the rights to the game (MxO isn't SOE's to sell, it was only theirs to run, and run poorly). WBIE would have to get lawyers to get SOE to give them back the game so they could sell it.

Essentially, the way it went down SOE effectively buried the game under mounds of legal dirt and it's gone.

I don't think it can ever be dug up.
[Image: quisig.png]

The Source - The MxO Wiki related to everything MxO and its forthcoming emulators.
02-05-2010, 06:05 AM,
Yea, but it can be cloned and provide with better organs. *nods*
02-05-2010, 06:15 AM, (This post was last modified: 02-05-2010, 06:16 AM by Tornadic.)
(02-05-2010, 05:55 AM)QuiDormit Wrote: Also, and I've said this somewhere else, you have to look at the legal aspect involved. WBIE controls the rights to the game (MxO isn't SOE's to sell, it was only theirs to run, and run poorly). WBIE would have to get lawyers to get SOE to give them back the game so they could sell it.

Essentially, the way it went down SOE effectively buried the game under mounds of legal dirt and it's gone.

Now, I'm not a lawyer; I'm not trying to insinuate that you're wrong because it sounds really reasonable.
But, is this a personal theory or do you have some proof to verify your claims?
Again, I'm not trying to insult you just curious. Because if that's true, it's bullshit that SOE would do that. Not with MxO specifically, it's just shitty business all around.
02-05-2010, 06:41 AM, (This post was last modified: 02-05-2010, 06:46 AM by QuiDormit.)
(02-05-2010, 06:15 AM)Tornadic Wrote:
(02-05-2010, 05:55 AM)QuiDormit Wrote: Also, and I've said this somewhere else, you have to look at the legal aspect involved. WBIE controls the rights to the game (MxO isn't SOE's to sell, it was only theirs to run, and run poorly). WBIE would have to get lawyers to get SOE to give them back the game so they could sell it.

Now, I'm not a lawyer; I'm not trying to insinuate that you're wrong because it sounds really reasonable.
But, is this a personal theory or do you have some proof to verify your claims?
Again, I'm not trying to insult you just curious. Because if that's true, it's bullshit that SOE would do that. Not with MxO specifically, it's just shitty business all around.

Admittedly, my legal expertise comes from working as an assistant to my Aunt writing/re-writing legal documents in her firm through my college years and just plain corporate experience from my professional life. (AKA I have no "expertise," just personal experiences. Not a lawyer.)

I can tell you that any time two companies hand materials back and forth, lawyers are involved. Contracts, NDA's, the works. Any time one company creates something and sells it to another, the legal documents are whipped out. I've never seen a company sell off a product without some kind of stipulations. We're not talking about a full-scale buyout where the buying company can do WTF-ever it wants, this was the purchase of a product that still carried WB's name, likeness, trademarks, etc etc all over it. So I believe they would have definitely told SOE "you can run it, but you can't sell it."

In fact, I've often wondered if WB sold it saying, "You can run this game for X amount of years, and then you have to close it down," but that, like everything else I've said, is speculation.

In any event, any time a product is handed over like that, if the selling company wants to have any say or any influence over the product that's sold, you bet your ass the lawyers are coming out.

I dunno, I could be totally full of shit, and I usually am. I just don't think WB would have given SOE carte blanch to just sell it off to someone else. That's why I think SOE closed it instead of entertained offers to sell it, and since it would be such a pain in the dick for WB to get the physical game back, it's effectively dead.

Or this was WB's plan all around.

Or, like I said, I am full of shit.

You decide.
[Image: quisig.png]

The Source - The MxO Wiki related to everything MxO and its forthcoming emulators.
02-05-2010, 06:48 AM,
Ok, that makes plenty of sense. The idea "it shouldn't be that hard for WB to get the code from SOE if someone wanted to buy the game rights" springs to mind.

But that's followed with:
"Why would they want to do that?"
"Lawyers are crazy expensive"
And "nothing involving two corporations of this size (Sony and WB), can be easily resolved in an afternoon"

Stupid Corporations
02-05-2010, 09:54 AM,
I was researching about resources and found that this link still work...
http://download.station.sony.com/patch/d...online.zip
SOE Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin
02-05-2010, 10:30 AM,
yep thats the bare exe and dlls that would then update to the full content via the patch servers
which are down now.
02-05-2010, 11:05 AM,
I know what is it, I have use it some years ago.
But it was a sign of SOE attitude to MxO... they just stopped game servers and changed main site page... all others is still there.
I will not get surprised if someone tell me that servers are still there "forgotten and covered by dust" Big Grin
02-05-2010, 11:09 AM,
What I love is, even after all this speculation and with the world so caught up on rights these days, it doesn't say ANYWHERE! ANYWHERE! Who has the rights to do what with it and WHY it was shut down!!
02-05-2010, 12:02 PM,
no, the servers are probably still there and ONLINE, because if they turned them off, all hell would break loose (soe hasnt heard of modularity)
they probably just blocked the ports needed for mxo in their firewall