Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Milliways! Infocoms unreleased HHGTTG sequel.
12-26-2009, 08:43 AM,
Milliways! Infocoms unreleased HHGTTG sequel.
Once again, Happy holidays to all. Hope it was a fun and safe one.

I found this article back in June while looking up some information on Infocom games, it's a rare look into the final years of a struggling developer.

Infocom is by far my most favorite when it comes to games of the 80's. I fondly remember the days of playing these on my Commodore 64 and loving every moment. I thought i'd share this with you.

What is even more incredible is that some of the people who worked for Infocom found this article and shared their own experiences with Infocom on it's last days and with this game as well. Marc Blank,Dave Lebling,Steve Meretzky and Amy Briggs.

Enjoy.

http://waxy.org/2008/04/milliways_infoco...the_galax/
[Image: MXO.jpg]
12-26-2009, 09:54 AM,
RE: Milliways! Infocoms unreleased HHGTTG sequel.
Good stuff; I remember this too. Infocom had great products but weak business sense. They wanted to resist the graphics revolution and miscaculated in a fatal way with Cornerstone. But a lot of their work was great, and I still enjoy firing them up from time to time. Adams was apparently not easy work with.
12-26-2009, 10:23 AM,
I *loved* the infocom games! I really loved HHGTTG (ahh the babel fish puzzle, remember that?) - but Trinity was even better for me. Strangely, I actually used to like the fact that there were no graphics.
12-26-2009, 12:43 PM,
Yes, for their time, they were the best, hands down. HHGTTG was very rough. I mean, just getting out of bed before your house was knocked down was difficult! Others I liked (glancing over at crowded shelves):

Trinity: a very tricky, non-intuitive game, I liked it too.
Infidel: delightful!
Enchanter Trilogy: my fave of all the Infocoms. It appealed to the looter/packrat in me.
Leather Goddesses of Phobos: Say no more.
Starcross: my first Infocom and one of my faves.
Planetfall and Stationfall: both really fun, funny, and geeky.

I never got through most of the others, what with work and all. It's too bad they painted themselves into a technological corner; I liked their emphasis on good writing in games. Not to mention the general emphasis on fun and humor, which one seldom sees as much nowadays.
12-26-2009, 02:07 PM,
(12-26-2009, 10:23 AM)Sixxth Wrote: I *loved* the infocom games! I really loved HHGTTG (ahh the babel fish puzzle, remember that?) - but Trinity was even better for me. Strangely, I actually used to like the fact that there were no graphics.

Same here.I still play HHTTG 20th Anniversary Edition from time to time. Link:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/hitchhikers/...olan.shtml
12-27-2009, 08:51 AM,
(12-26-2009, 02:07 PM)FishyHat Wrote:
(12-26-2009, 10:23 AM)Sixxth Wrote: I *loved* the infocom games! I really loved HHGTTG (ahh the babel fish puzzle, remember that?) - but Trinity was even better for me. Strangely, I actually used to like the fact that there were no graphics.

Same here.I still play HHTTG 20th Anniversary Edition from time to time. Link:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/hitchhikers/...olan.shtml

Nice! Thanks for the link....I lost my infocom games in one of my many moves long ago.....
12-27-2009, 01:03 PM, (This post was last modified: 12-27-2009, 01:03 PM by Valaro.)
A little before my time, but reading of the downfall of a games company called Infocom was interesting. Thanks for the post!
12-28-2009, 05:50 AM,
(12-27-2009, 01:03 PM)Valaro Wrote: A little before my time, but reading of the downfall of a games company called Infocom was interesting. Thanks for the post!

You're welcome. If you can get into text-based games i think you'll like what Infocom did, i recommend Bureaucracy for several reasons:

1:It's my favorite of the lot Big Grin

2Big Grinouglas Adams scripted the game based on his experiences when trying to get a change of address. The game is pretty funny.

3:It's wicked difficult.