Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rarebit
11-22-2009, 08:10 AM,
Rarebit
Ok, so for the majority of MxO's life, we've had Rarebit as the lead developer, and towards the end, also as the story-teller and manager of LE. However, what happened between him and SOE is unclear. Did he quit, and if so why? Was he fired? If he was fired, then why? Also, looking over Rarebit's notes for the storyline, it seems like he expected MxO to end after Chapter 14.

http://manifoldmischief.blogspot.com/

This blog said that Rarebit was fired after he let a player have access to the admin controls. How much of that is true?
11-22-2009, 08:35 AM,
RE: Rarebit
Does it really matter anymore?
[Image: perfection.jpg]
11-22-2009, 09:58 AM,
No, she was just ridiculously mis-informed.

Nerfocelot was infact Bayamos, Zudrag and the usual suspects, they found an exploit in the coding and used it to bug themselves to give them insanely awesome dev powers.

9mmfu patched it quickly and we were all chatting about it during a quiet night with Dracomet.

It's a mystery what happened to Rare, but he certainly didn't give anyone access to the admin controls.
11-22-2009, 11:11 AM, (This post was last modified: 11-22-2009, 11:19 AM by Neo VII.)
(11-22-2009, 08:35 AM)ManicVelocity Wrote: Does it really matter anymore?

No...no it doesn't.
[Image: SigVII-1.gif]
11-22-2009, 07:28 PM,
anyone outside soe's internal network cant get access to admin controls anyway
11-22-2009, 10:15 PM,
Well my guess would be that he quit when the decision to shut MxO down reached him, that would be quite logical, wouldn't it? Obviously that must have been being discussed internally for quite a while before news got out.
We are still here!
11-22-2009, 11:50 PM, (This post was last modified: 11-22-2009, 11:52 PM by Prospero.)
(11-22-2009, 08:10 AM)Metalogic Wrote: Ok, so for the majority of MxO's life, we've had Rarebit as the lead developer, and towards the end, also as the story-teller and manager of LE. However, what happened between him and SOE is unclear. Did he quit, and if so why? Was he fired? If he was fired, then why? Also, looking over Rarebit's notes for the storyline, it seems like he expected MxO to end after Chapter 14.

http://manifoldmischief.blogspot.com/

This blog said that Rarebit was fired after he let a player have access to the admin controls. How much of that is true?

There were some people who thought that, yah, but I'm pretty sure that was not the case. That being said, Rarebit's departure _was_ pretty sudden and unexplained. None of the usual "going to pursue other professional opportunities", "spend more time with his family" bizspeak. But the only signifcance would be how it would affect his willingness to help us, and last time he was approached, he was black-and-white unwilling. Not that I am even sure he did the kind of work which would have been beneficial to Neo, Raj, Morpheus, et al.
11-23-2009, 05:32 PM,
nope, he was art guy
11-23-2009, 07:05 PM,
As far as I know, he didn't give admin controls over to players. The players found a back door and were able to use the powers.
11-24-2009, 05:16 AM,
If Rare was fired, it's because the game was on its way out, not because he did something stupid.

I think that Rare ended at Chapter 14 like he did because they already knew that they were shutting it down for YEARS. Walrus admitted that little tasty bit the last night. I'd have to scour through my logs to find exactly what he said, but you get the drift. They just pushed the end forward what with the lack of people/money/care/time/blah blah blah.
[Image: citylineidea.png]