Users browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hi New guy here with some Wisdom
11-16-2009, 03:55 AM,
Hi New guy here with some Wisdom
Hi everyone,

A lot of you remember from back in the MxO days. Wow was stunned to learn that MxO died after 4 years... I didnt get a notification that the servers was being turned off Confusedad .

Ok now... I started reading about life after MxO and found that some folks do not have clear understanding of how Intellectual Property works. I am here to enlighten you and perhaps some of us could hope to keep MxO going.

This is a story about a game called 10Six which was owned by Sega. The game mysteriously closed and for months we just couldn't understand what happened. Back in the day, Intellectual Property was still being understood in the courts. The primary developer, Martian (I wont mention his real name, he is a personal friend of mine), had a plan: Wait for the Trademark or IP to expire. After which, he began continuing development on 10six (now named Project Visitor)... He also bought the IP and Trademarks...

This will not be case for MxO, so one or two things could happen:

1. Approach the Wojo brothers and beg them to let us continue this game under their trademark and blessing (I dunno)
  2. Talk to Warner Bros (unlikely, not a big enough profit margin for them to wet their beaks, yet they make so much money from the Matrix franchise)
  3. Retag under some other title and change everything titled

I havent the time to look, but perhaps SOE is looking to firesale the source code or outsource the game?

I would recommend a Brazilian game company that is really good at doing this type of stuff: Hoplon.

In meantime, I hope someone brings a server up as I have my original disks and now have a hankering for wanting to play.

Good luck everyone and god bless you all.

PS:
As for authenication: As an IT pro, I believe that they are using either RSA or SSL encrytion to establish a roadwarrior VPN connection to their network (as do most games do). Perhaps creating and integrating self signed cert (or self generated RSA) and building a mechanism that installs these certs on clients???

Just throwing that out there for the gang to chew on or shoot me down with.
11-16-2009, 04:41 AM,
RE: Hi New guy here with some Wisdom
I'm pretty sure that SOE, upon closing the game down, relinquished whatever rights they had to the game, as the IP and Trademark belong to Warner Bros.

The problem is that the Matrix is a dead franchise. I don't think you can talk anyone into releasing anything without a considerable chunk of cash, and even then...

In any event, keep up the good work, mxoemu. I used to be around a lot before the blackout, but life has since taken over and stripped me of my free time. Sad.
[Image: citylineidea.png]
11-16-2009, 05:26 AM,
I wonder if WB even cares at this point. I mean are they actively seeking out anyone who may try to resurrect MxO? I doubt we'll be making any money off of it, and everyone is in agreement that it's fanfic at this point (RP wise).
11-16-2009, 05:43 AM,
(11-16-2009, 05:26 AM)Metalogic Wrote: I wonder if WB even cares at this point. I mean are they actively seeking out anyone who may try to resurrect MxO? I doubt we'll be making any money off of it, and everyone is in agreement that it's fanfic at this point (RP wise).

Yeah they do.. and thats the hitch there guys and gals...

MX is a franchise worldwide and still grosses... What would really be cool is if the Wojos and WB take pity on us and let us use the base code for amusement... If I had the capital (I dont its infused in my own company), my business pitch would be:

I host the boxes...
I maintain the code....
You guys get the advertisement love... Maybe charge a nominal fee for its usage.. (that would be passed on to folks who still want to play)...

And its a good PR for them...... And most importantly if interest picked up, perhaps be a springboard for the next Matrix screenplay (there is enough meat from MxO to build a new movie (if they DO dammit, slow down in its production and do it right)... or a reimaging....

Wishful freaking thinking...

When MxO left Monolith and CR2 came out... it was the beginning of the end... Oh how I remember those days of CR1 on Heuristic... You actually had to fend for your life every minute you was jacked in.... Thats the real MxO CR2 wussified it... but thats another discussion
11-16-2009, 06:08 AM,
Well there's the whole cost/benefit thing you have to look at. How much would it cost WB to sue the people behind MxO EMU, and are they going to get much benefit out of it?
11-16-2009, 06:11 AM,
(11-16-2009, 06:08 AM)Metalogic Wrote: Well there's the whole cost/benefit thing you have to look at. How much would it cost WB to sue the people behind MxO EMU, and are they going to get much benefit out of it?

I agree... and if MxO EMU is out of country... Ha! WB cant touch them with a 10 foot pole hehe
11-16-2009, 06:17 AM,
Honestly, I think it'd cost WB a lot of money to sue MxO EMU, and it'll probably take a long time to go to court, and the payout won't be very much. They won't get millions out of it. There's also the negative press they'll receive. A big corporation picking on fans of one of their films. It'll hurt their pockets, and WB would like to avoid negative press. To be honest, it doesn't seem to be logical for WB to do anything to MxO EMU.
11-16-2009, 06:53 AM,
- Have no fuck1ng idea you'r talking about (RSA thing of course, rajko already did that)
- WB owns all the rights, this is his trademark and all is ok for me at that.
- I wont charge from devving or service if ever appears
- If WB express to us a cease & desist or anything, we will shutdown the project and that's all.

Is a fan thing, and we just revive what is dead and gives no cash. Nothing more, nothing less.

And they could talk with us to express their view, we are not hiding into a cave.

On the other hand, in this country i am not sure if reverse engineering is a grey legal matter or is just legal.

Now that SOE left all to the original trademark owners, who offers me the EULA? cause is not monolith, is not sony...
tell me.
11-16-2009, 07:14 AM,
I don't think WB cares either way.
11-16-2009, 08:59 AM,
id be surprised if WB even remembers MXO
[Image: sigff.png]