Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Windows 7 $30
10-23-2009, 11:42 AM,
Windows 7 $30
Check this page and follow the directions.

You must have a .edu email address (or other educational institution) to qualify.
10-23-2009, 06:57 PM,
RE: Windows 7 $30
Meh, i could get it at 0$ legally through Microsoft Development Network Academic Alliance (MSDN AA?) here at Univ.

Anyway... i dont like this "new" vista release. I tried the release candidate (ok bit before becoming done to launch) and i cannot even install Microsoft Visual Studio 2008 (ok ok, win7 i know that it's a dangeorus application! xD).

A OS that to solve back compatibility issues (4 winXP) developped a updated version of Ms virtual PC and do all within a virtual machine OS (with the perfomance lost there) doesnt look good. And surprise, that's not included in bundled packet. You have to download it from the net. They suggest to keep that virtual machine hibernated to not have to restart each time you need (wait, wasnt that meant to use only one puntual time?)

Two days ago conference here at college ("Win7 for devs") wasnt as brilliant as one could expect xD.

PS: of course, i got win, but i prefer xp. Or mac, or some linux/bsd flavour.
10-23-2009, 08:07 PM,
Nice idea for providing us information about Windows 7. Would you mind to let us know more about this? Thanks!
10-24-2009, 06:13 AM,
(10-23-2009, 08:07 PM)harrisdefth Wrote: Nice idea for providing us information about Windows 7. Would you mind to let us know more about this? Thanks!

I really don't know much about it. A friend posted the link on facebook and I'm just passing it along.

I downloaded the analyzer tool that scans my computer and based on its output, I've decided not to upgrade to Win7, but my finace might. When she buys her copy I can post the rest of my experience with this website.
10-24-2009, 11:08 AM,
I have bought Office 2k7 through one of Microsoft's special discounts like that.
They want you to have a .edu address as a simple way to verify you are a student.
Ordering from them goes like this:
1) Submit your .edu address
2) They send you an email with a confirmation link
3) Click the link and your brought to the order page.
4) Fill out the usual stuff, submit a credit card number
5) You are presented with a page with your Product Key and a link to download the software.

Pretty simple if you have a .edu address.
If you do buy Win7 through that you may also want to read:
http://www.downloadsquad.com/2009/10/22/...windows-7/

As for VS2008 and Win7, All I can say is that VS2008 runs perfect on my Win7. I even have VS2005 running on the same machine and that works good.
10-24-2009, 07:23 PM,
Had it through MSDNAA for a few months now. Have to say, I'm loving it =P
10-24-2009, 09:53 PM,
(10-24-2009, 11:08 AM)dev0id Wrote: As for VS2008 and Win7, All I can say is that VS2008 runs perfect on my Win7. I even have VS2005 running on the same machine and that works good.
I talked about a RC version not current one.
And Eclipse Galileo let me code just pasting project source in Win/Lin/Mac/BSD. When VS offer that i will consider it xD.

Personally i wont update till university or applications force me to. I dislike 200% the UI of this new versions (since vista) which try to just copy the mac (dashboard i mean) thing and the non-security vision i got from them (and to me the "you sure you want to delete this folder?you sure? you got a policy for this? have you a lawyer?" is crap).

And not to mention that some GameGuard issues happened when i tried some free mmorpg's on win7.

Of course, if i was able to remove all the crap that the OS put on just to launch and look cool (Aero Dodgy) and, choose what to install and let me an empty thing to just play games, office or open firefox then it's good for me xD.

I wonder if wine/cider/cedega/crossover let me run mxo xD.

I wont mention the pain that is to dev using their w32 api instead others like Posix xD.
11-02-2009, 03:16 PM,
Thanks V.