Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Thread Closed 
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I haz an idea!!!
01-29-2010, 12:23 AM,
Lightbulb  I haz an idea!!!
I think I may have figured out how to revive MxO, on the legal even. It goes like this. First, I need the number to SOE or Sony of America Corporate. This number isn't easily attainable via the internet, as it's all call center phone lines. It is important that I talk to someone with actual power, not some call center jockey.

The Pitch.
SOE gets free money, and we get our game back. You see my idea is that we, or for the purposes of this theory, I rent the rights to the game. Essentially, I register a company, Let's go with MxO inc., Get the server space, bandwidth, coders/developers, advertising, manage accounts, Write story, Patch the game, host forums, and basically operate the game. I'll also be held liable for anything bad that may happen. What does SOE get? 30-50% of all net revenue that MxO generates and the right to pull the plug if we don't meet a predetermined performance threshold. (hypothetically, if for 6 months we have less than 200 paying subscribers they can just up and shut us down.)

SOE's stubbornness notwithstanding, it seems like a fairly solid idea.

There are a few problems though:
1) It's still just a theory
2) I have absolutely no idea how to contact Sony corporate offices
3) If IF they go for it, Servers, people, and bandwidth are not free, and I just don't have the start up capital to finance that. ( I make near min. wage)

What do you guys think? Can this be done?
01-29-2010, 12:37 AM,
RE: I haz an idea!!!
Dude, why the hell would we go with your idea?
I mean, sorry to be rude, but why the hell would we pay you to play it, while we could get it for free off of the wonderfull dev team with have here? And even worse to give that Broken ass company more money?
Seriously, how long have you been on this site exactly?
01-29-2010, 12:49 AM,
Why? That's....not a bad question actually.
First yes, giving me money for a game you might get for free at some point is in fact a stupid idea. But let me ask you a few questions.
Where do you think I would look for devs and writers? Here, obviously. Just think what the devs here could do if you gave them the entire code and paid them enough to work on MxO full time. Who better to write new on going story content than people who've been playing since beta?
As for giving SOE money, sure that would suck. Believe me, if I had the $10 million just to throw away I'd buy the code and hand it over to the dev team here just so I could play again.
Yes, I'm new to this site, but that's because I can't code so I didn't have anything to say until now.
01-29-2010, 01:08 AM, (This post was last modified: 01-29-2010, 01:12 AM by Twaggy.)
I like the fact you wanted to help with this idea, however it is not possible as with most MMORPGs you rarely earn a profit and barely break even. Most times companies who make MMOs lose money, SOE would see your idea as bad for business.

Thank you for your input on this, if you do have any other ideas. Please post on the forums, we all have something to do here in ways of aid. Small or big, either way it helps.

(Someone slap me, I sound like a Customer Service Advisor!!!!)
[Image: fs.png]
Need a program? a Film? A Series? PM me and I will try and get it ya
01-29-2010, 01:15 AM,
SOE doesn't own MxO anymore. I'm pretty sure you'd have to go straight to WBIE in order to get the rights.

That being said, no.

The only thing contacting either SOE or WBIE will do is put us on the map. If we're on their radar, we will be given a cease and desist.
[Image: quisig.png]

The Source - The MxO Wiki related to everything MxO and its forthcoming emulators.
01-29-2010, 01:38 AM,
(01-29-2010, 01:15 AM)QuiDormit Wrote: SOE doesn't own MxO anymore. I'm pretty sure you'd have to go straight to WBIE in order to get the rights.

That being said, no.

The only thing contacting either SOE or WBIE will do is put us on the map. If we're on their radar, we will be given a cease and desist.

This. Trying to make a deal with WBIE or SOE would be making a deal with the devil, No...just no.
01-29-2010, 01:39 AM,
.../slap *flees back to my lurker cave

(01-29-2010, 01:08 AM)Twaggy Wrote: I like the fact you wanted to help with this idea, however it is not possible as with most MMORPGs you rarely earn a profit and barely break even. Most times companies who make MMOs lose money, SOE would see your idea as bad for business.

Thank you for your input on this, if you do have any other ideas. Please post on the forums, we all have something to do here in ways of aid. Small or big, either way it helps.

(Someone slap me, I sound like a Customer Service Advisor!!!!)
01-29-2010, 01:45 AM,
Due to my extremely lax work environment I can address all these issues at once.
On not having enough money / subscribers: Using a conservative estimate of $7 net revenue per month per subscription (after paying rent of course). We'd need 358 subs per $30,000 annual salary, assuming and additional $30,000 annual for operating costs, and the starting team consisting of 1 developer, 1 writer, 1 web coder (For forums and the like), and 1 PR guy (advertising, public relations, dealing with Sony/WB, Etc.) and you're looking at annual costs of $180,000 you'd need 25,714 subscribers.

I just did the math, that's alot bigger of a number than I'd expected. Sure you could maybe cut down on staff (PR guy, pfft), try to resurrect the old mega city billboard add scheme, and try to drum up subs though a recommendation program (you know for every 3 people that you recommend who pay for a month of play time you get a free month). But that's still heavy costs.

Oh, and the idea makes no mention of MxOEMU (which I'd really like to see happen) So unless whoever gets pitched to decides to do some research and stumbles across this forum, there's no worry.
01-29-2010, 01:54 AM,
As Twaggy said, your input is most appreciated but when you crunch the numbers it makes no sense. We trully only have 2 options..

1. We continue our path and go the EMU route as other games have done in the past.
2. An established and financially healthy and responsible company takes up the MXO rights...(someone like Blizzard)
"We die because the people are asleep...you will die because the people will awaken"-Carl Sandburg
[Image: testsignew.jpg]
01-29-2010, 01:58 AM,
(01-29-2010, 01:45 AM)Tornadic Wrote: Due to my extremely lax work environment I can address all these issues at once.
On not having enough money / subscribers: Using a conservative estimate of $7 net revenue per month per subscription (after paying rent of course). We'd need 358 subs per $30,000 annual salary, assuming and additional $30,000 annual for operating costs, and the starting team consisting of 1 developer, 1 writer, 1 web coder (For forums and the like), and 1 PR guy (advertising, public relations, dealing with Sony/WB, Etc.) and you're looking at annual costs of $180,000 you'd need 25,714 subscribers.

I just did the math, that's alot bigger of a number than I'd expected. Sure you could maybe cut down on staff (PR guy, pfft), try to resurrect the old mega city billboard add scheme, and try to drum up subs though a recommendation program (you know for every 3 people that you recommend who pay for a month of play time you get a free month). But that's still heavy costs.

Oh, and the idea makes no mention of MxOEMU (which I'd really like to see happen) So unless whoever gets pitched to decides to do some research and stumbles across this forum, there's no worry.

I'm sorry, but SOE and WBIE pulled MxO for a reason, that it wasn't making enough money for them. I doubt you'll be able to prove them wrong. The best route right now is MxOE.
Thread Closed