Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Life/Hype before MxO
04-17-2010, 02:27 AM, (This post was last modified: 04-17-2010, 02:29 AM by Parallax.)
Life/Hype before MxO
I figured I'd write up a post outlining my pre-MxO experience. I would think that a few people here could have had similar experiences. I was definitely hooked on this game a whole year before it came out. And then I didn't get my hands on it until the end. :-) All in all it was a great experience. So prepare to take a dive into history!

The time was April 2004 I believe, and MxO had just been announced. I was all aglow with the possibilities of gunfights and running from Agents and just generally being a part of Matrix history. So I found the official boards and signed up with my then designated nick, Trojan. I went and designed a sig, named a hovercraft (Mercury) to roleplay off of in case it arose, and began my journey.

I went and familiarized myself with all the documents posted and eagerly awaited as each new Wallpaper showing off skills that shed some more light on the abilities included, and posted and got aquainted with a few people.

It occured to me that if I wanted a decent RP experience, I'd have to find a captain (I certainly wasn't command material) and so I looked around the Recruitment forums for a decent crew. I found one called the Cohorts of Death, commanded by a guy named Xeo. They had a fleet of 4 or 5 hovercrafts and a hell of a great backstory for each.

So I applied and was assigned as an ensign to one of their hovercrafts. I contacted Xeo and asked him for permission to expand on the backstories and web elements for the hovercrafts. I completed a couple hovercrafts and kept submitting ideas for webpage design and expansion on the RP side of things. I was promoted and assigned my own hovercraft, the Phobos, as the others were getting quite full.

Their website was one that kept me coming back. They had rank insignia and charts, with pages for each craft that showed the crew compliments and ranks. I became active in their crew forums, and acquainted myself with my crewmates. The crewmember that sticks out most in my mind was named LimpBIT. Don't quite know why, perhaps it was because he was Xeo's first officer and that his name reminded me of Limp Bizkit.

After a few months, beta keys were given out. This was where the real fun began. But at the time, I still had dial-up and not a very decent computer, and so I was never selected for a key. But a couple members were, and so they kept us up to date as much as they could with the NDA in place. I decided that I'd like to keep active in the group even though I wouldn't be able to participate in-game. But all in all, not being able to be a part of the beta or afford it when it was released whether I had dial-up or not discouraged me, and so a year later when it went live, I started to visit less and less.

I continued to post here and there in the official forums, mostly staying to the philisophical discussions and the movie discussion boards. But then that became boring as well.

Finally, in 2008/09 (can't remember) I decided to pick it up because it was definitely a bargain at $10. And so I signed up and created my character, MasterPlan, and played as much as I could over the next two months. It was quite an experience, and I can only imagine what it would have been like years earlier.

Perhaps I'll be able to get that chance in the (hopefully) not too distant future.

EDIT: If there's any of my former crewmates here, please help refresh my memory if you can :-)
04-17-2010, 02:58 AM,
RE: Life/Hype before MxO
cool story bro
04-17-2010, 10:31 AM,
there were only two faction's that lasted from start to finish. So no, none of those crew member's exist anymore.

but like Gerik stated, k00l Story, Bro.
[Image: shaoxsig2.png]
04-17-2010, 10:50 AM,
(04-17-2010, 10:31 AM)ShaoX Wrote: there were only two faction's that lasted from start to finish. So no, none of those crew member's exist anymore.

but like Gerik stated, k00l Story, Bro.

Only two? I suppose that makes sense. Well, maybe not as a faction, but I was thinking of more in general. But come to think of it, I don't think it lasted long in-game, if at all.
05-01-2010, 06:07 AM,
Nice story!

(04-17-2010, 10:31 AM)ShaoX Wrote: there were only two faction's that lasted from start to finish. So no, none of those crew member's exist anymore.

Don't know wich factions you mean exactly, but the Brethren was a pre-beta Zion-faction which has seen also the end of MxO. Makes me proud to have fought side by side with these people (even if was one of the last members to join)... *salutes to the brethren, where ever they are*

@topic: There was a life BEFORE MxO? Huh Wink
"Don't think you are, know you are..."