Users browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Agency
01-19-2010, 08:17 AM, (This post was last modified: 01-19-2010, 08:19 AM by Skyscream.)
RE: The Agency
(01-18-2010, 03:22 AM)Bayamos Wrote: I thought DC online was the game we were sacrificed for. Agency is just the game that MXO staff got pulled to.

Yes. The DC license is what SOE really wanted but they had to take MxO as part of the deal. The Subscriber base plummeted after news of the SOE deal hit the airwaves. Surprise surprise. The fact that MxO WAS NOT part of SOE was a big selling point for me when it was released. That and ... well ... it was the Matrix. I hung in there for a long long time but I don't think too many people in ... control .. of MxO liked how I kept bringing things up that they were doing wrong. Like not putting MxO on the Station website so that people could buy the game. After I made a public post about it and SOE's lack of commitment to the game they stuck it on there for digital download. Almost seven months after they got the game I think. Just one example of SOE's disinterest in the Matrix License.

The Agency was a SOE thing. A number of dev's from MxO ended up on that project as well as the DC license from what I heard back in the day.
[Image: Skysig1.jpg]
01-20-2010, 10:17 AM,
(01-19-2010, 08:17 AM)Skyscream Wrote:
(01-18-2010, 03:22 AM)Bayamos Wrote: I thought DC online was the game we were sacrificed for. Agency is just the game that MXO staff got pulled to.

Yes. The DC license is what SOE really wanted but they had to take MxO as part of the deal. The Subscriber base plummeted after news of the SOE deal hit the airwaves. Surprise surprise. The fact that MxO WAS NOT part of SOE was a big selling point for me when it was released. That and ... well ... it was the Matrix. I hung in there for a long long time but I don't think too many people in ... control .. of MxO liked how I kept bringing things up that they were doing wrong. Like not putting MxO on the Station website so that people could buy the game. After I made a public post about it and SOE's lack of commitment to the game they stuck it on there for digital download. Almost seven months after they got the game I think. Just one example of SOE's disinterest in the Matrix License.

The Agency was a SOE thing. A number of dev's from MxO ended up on that project as well as the DC license from what I heard back in the day.

Actually, I heard (from someone i had met in the game industry a year back) that the a major reason SOE flopped all over MxO was when they did account transfers, a large amount of accounts were lost (When they did the WB->SOE thing).
[Image: newsig-1.jpg]
01-20-2010, 10:20 AM,
(01-20-2010, 10:17 AM)nighthawk7000 Wrote:
(01-19-2010, 08:17 AM)Skyscream Wrote:

Actually, I heard (from someone i had met in the game industry a year back) that the a major reason SOE flopped all over MxO was when they did account transfers, a large amount of accounts were lost (When they did the WB->SOE thing).

Ouch...not a good way to start things off...and it just got worse from there.
01-20-2010, 10:25 AM,
Code:
export database 'players': 167869 rows affected
import database 'players': 113028 rows inserted

Then in SOE main HQ...

-hey dude.. one or more numbers seem different.
-nah it's mxo and it's just probably you. you look a bit tired... lets go get a coffee.
01-20-2010, 10:28 AM,
I have heard that MxO servers were a nightmare to work with, and they didn't want to touch it. Maybe that's why the accounts were lost.
01-20-2010, 10:54 AM,
then i'm doing it closer than i thought (XD)
01-20-2010, 11:36 AM, (This post was last modified: 01-20-2010, 12:21 PM by Prospero.)
(01-20-2010, 10:28 AM)Metalogic Wrote: I have heard that MxO servers were a nightmare to work with, and they didn't want to touch it. Maybe that's why the accounts were lost.

This could well be true. If it were, then it is yet another sign of bad management. This time, though, at Lith, not SOE. They should have had some professional architectural design preparing a plan of the hardware necessary to handle the load. And the code should have been optimized for the planned hardware.

Thing is, back in the day, they were able to merge nine servers into three. Obviously someone back then knew how to get stuff like this done. Too bad the process was not documented. I asked Walrus about this in a PM, and he indicated that one of the reasons they closed the game rather than a three-to-one merge was that they were not sure how to do it. Guess that was someone’s idea of job security, not to write down everything. Nice going, buddy. I’m speculating that during the bloodbath when SOE acquired MxO, they sacked the folks who knew how to do stuff like this, thinking mere infrastructure and support were commodity skills.

Buddies of mine work in IT infrastructure professionally (as do a couple of you guys, and as I did for a while), and say you can’t get a misspelling corrected on a production server without it being documented. So Walrus’s endless (well, he communicated so infrequently it makes more sense to say “consistent” I guess, than “endless”) wailing about “can’t touch the database” is a sad, sad state of affairs and a confession of amateurishness.

Rant over!
01-20-2010, 11:56 AM, (This post was last modified: 01-20-2010, 11:56 AM by Morpheus.)
if people is in charge of a game that has some fee (and not 1$) and doesnt know how to even mod a database (dont talk about add things to game), then something smells badly.

They are not devs. they are just players on steroids.

One of the main reasons that lead you to have 3 or 4 events in last time (closing) instead a new one is just a case of this thing. Cause game seems to work gathering the weather from DB, and the event(s) that are on (with a "+" between em). So just loaded a premade mix of things, showing that people who know something were fired or moved, as you said.
01-23-2010, 02:09 AM,
(01-20-2010, 10:28 AM)Metalogic Wrote: I have heard that MxO servers were a nightmare to work with, and they didn't want to touch it. Maybe that's why the accounts were lost.

That's a load of rubish, imo. They're just like any other game Server. And for they saying the Database is all funny and scared to touch it. Isn't that why you make backups before you actually do anything to it just in case? So really there was no loss. It was just a load of gigglybush. And I also were one of them players who lost his account when it went to SOE. Sadly, I had to buy a new CD key and start all over again. ;'(
[Image: weskiepwn-1.gif]
01-23-2010, 02:25 AM,
(01-23-2010, 02:09 AM)Weskie Wrote:

That's a load of rubish, imo. They're just like any other game Server. And for they saying the Database is all funny and scared to touch it. Isn't that why you make backups before you actually do anything to it just in case? So really there was no loss. It was just a load of gigglybush. And I also were one of them players who lost his account when it went to SOE. Sadly, I had to buy a new CD key and start all over again. ;'(

That sucks. Sad