Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Help with Home Network
01-16-2010, 12:07 PM,
Help with Home Network
I'm having trouble setting up a home network. Here's my situation:

I have 3 computers. 1 XP (sp3) laptop, 1 XP (sp3) desktop and 1 Vista (sp2) laptop.

I have a wireless modem which connects to high speed internet. The XP laptop and the Vista laptop are connected wirelessly to the modem. The XP desktop is hard wired to a router (Vonage) and that router is hardwired to the wireless modem.

What I want is to be able to share the printer and files within a home network.

The printer is connected via USB cord to the XP laptop. So far I have been able to print documents from the Vista laptop and access files on the XP laptop from the Vista laptop.

I have not been able to access files from either xp laptop or desktop from each other.

I've run searches on how to set up the network, but when it comes to accessing the Shared Documents folder, I cannot gain access to the other computers.

Any help is greatly appreciated. Let me know if you need any more information or screenshots to help.
01-16-2010, 12:31 PM,
RE: Help with Home Network
Ok, let me see if i got this straight...

Your internet comes from a wireless modem/router

The XP laptop and Vista laptop are connected to the above mentioned modem/router wirelessly

And there is an XP Desktop wired to a vonage router that is getting wireless signal from the modem/router?

If that is the case and your in the US, then it's likely you have a Comcast modem/router (they are white and built by belkin or netgear)

The first thing you need to do if you havn't already is put them all on the same workgroup...call it anything you want except for workgroup to avoid confusion.
"We die because the people are asleep...you will die because the people will awaken"-Carl Sandburg
[Image: testsignew.jpg]
01-16-2010, 12:47 PM,
What happens:

-Xp Laptop and Vista laptop get a DHCP address from wifi modem, so they are both with the 192.168.x.x IP addresses.
-Xp Laptop and Vista laptop are on a virtual lan thanks to the wifi modem.
-Router has algo received a DHCP address and may give itself a DHCP address to the xp at home.

case a: call between laptops)
-laptop a calls to an IP address on the lan waiting for the Wifi modem to answer. as they are in a lan and both on the wifi router, the internals redirect you to the other machine. and viceversa. working ok.

case b: call laptop->PC )
- laptop calls to a local IP address but wifi says: dude that ip is plugged to me, but doesnt respond nor have shared things (indeed, is a router!)

case b: call PC -> laptop )
- router has given a DHCP address to the XP PC (but it's own!) and when it ask for a lan IP (i.e 192.168.2.2) calling to laptop a, the router says: "no man, that thing is not plugged on me" instead passing the call to the wifi.

I even made a picture of it Big Grin.

[Image: networki.png]

Solutions:

a) Connect the XP PC directly to the wifi router, through wire.
b) Find how to / who knows to tweak your router to bypass the local petitions to the wifi router. Here i have no f.. idea.

Just my 2 cents, of course. You may have it configured without DHCP, but it's the + common thing.
01-16-2010, 01:50 PM,
Tsusai helped me via xfire. I had established the network but was unable to find files in the the other computers' shared folders. The reason why is because I was not properly addressing or naming the shortcuts. Tsusai suggested I address them with the IP address and it worked.

Thanks for the replies, guys. I appreciate the help. MxO community has been by far the best for any kind of tech help.
01-16-2010, 11:11 PM,
you can edit /windows/system32/drivers/etc/hosts file to assign a name to the ips so you can do:

192.168.x.x xplaptop
192.168.x.y vistalaptop

and that things.

of course you need too do that on each pc, writing the other 2 ip's.

that let you open a explorer window and do:

\\xplaptop

(without IP's involved anymore) and hopefully show the files Tongue.
01-17-2010, 12:36 AM,
if you have any firewalls usually you need to whitelist network computers.
[Image: 30nhcgn.png]