Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Visually Impaired Gamer Sues SOE
12-18-2009, 08:06 AM,
RE: Visually Impaired Gamer Sues SOE
again what is your proof he wants money?
[Image: l_d36f07faf65349c5acd4bf7b7b373b54.png]
12-18-2009, 08:07 AM,
(12-18-2009, 08:04 AM)wolfdm3 Wrote: That was entirely my point. It's foolish for him to file a lawsuit, when he could have requested something from the development team. All he wants is money.

Asking a SOE game development team for something and them actually doing it...

OHOHOHO!
12-18-2009, 08:20 AM,
(12-18-2009, 08:06 AM)MajTom Wrote: again what is your proof he wants money?

The fact that he is taking them to court over something frivolous. He obviously isn't going to pay for court bills by himself, so he has to have hoped that money would come from it, or from a relative.

You can't just go sue a company for not having a handicap system, when it's not a part of your rights to have a handicap system in every location, machinery, and etc.. Which, every other user that has posted, has said in a similar way, though their examples were the automobile industry.

And no, I wasn't saying that SOE would do anything about it, but he should have asked either way. IF he has, then he does have a right to do something, though court isn't exactly the right way to go about it.
12-18-2009, 08:36 AM, (This post was last modified: 12-18-2009, 09:06 AM by MajTom.)
so now you are a lawyer?

The Americans with Disabilities Act states that, "No individual shall be discriminated against on the basis of disability in the full and equal enjoyment of the goods, services, facilities, privileges, advantages, or accommodations of any place of public accommodation by any person who owns, leases (or leases to), or operates a place of public accommodation."

According to the suit, Sony ignored repeated requests through postal mail and e-mail to come up with reasonable modifications to its games to make them more accessible. The suit, which doesn't mention SOE games by name but appears to focus on massively multiplayer online titles, requests the addition of visual cues to point gamers to their destinations for gamers with "disability impaired visual processing."
12-18-2009, 11:56 AM, (This post was last modified: 12-18-2009, 11:58 AM by FishyHat.)
(12-18-2009, 08:06 AM)MajTom Wrote: again what is your proof he wants money?

"The suit also states that Sony’s denial in including these features are costing Stern money. Sony runs an auction site where users can sell their in-game loot for real money and, since Stern can’t participate in the auctions, Stern claims that he is losing money"

http://www.gamertell.com

This suit is more than not being able to play games, isn't it just a bit curious that Alexander Stern is going after a company in which they allow some of their MMO's to sell in-game items for real world money?

As i said before, maybe i'm being too cynical, but it really does seem that the only thing that this gamer cares about is how to make some money, be it through Station Exchange or by winning a lawsuit because he cannot use it. Either way he stands to make something, but it seems to not really revolve around playing a game for fun.

I'm not in any way defending SOE, i think it's the worst gaming company when it comes to customer treatment. The amount of letters Alex has sent to the amount of time that has passed has not been discussed, as such we have no way to tell one way or the other when his letters began or how many have been sent.

Implementing the feature he requires takes time, and i think all of us here know that when it comes to adding needed features to it's games SOE isn't exactly fast on the draw.
[Image: MXO.jpg]
12-18-2009, 12:44 PM,
Simple they told him no and did not believe he was a threat the only way they will believe he is not joking around is a law suit that brings it to public and makes everyone aware of the case. Attacking a money value is the lawyers move to make sure he/she gets paid and set an example for the case. This will make other companies wake up and stop ignoring the Impaired. Corporations have teams of lawyers and can settle a case out of court if they want, they do this every day..but to take a case to court makes it public record and stops them from sweeping it under the rug.
As stated in the past once they said no to him they broke the law. They brake it they pay. Just because they ignore the law or act like it does not exist does not give them the ok. They are required by law, that is it. They did not even attempt to implement any features (Which WoW have).
SOE only understand one thing money and take some away from the via court order will wake them up. It will also get the share holders attention.
Is it really about money, settlements out of court are about money, district court is about law.
12-18-2009, 01:37 PM, (This post was last modified: 12-18-2009, 05:23 PM by FishyHat.)
In my opinion Alex is doing this for one reason and one reason only and that is cold hard cash. From the quote i provided from the previous post it seems this is the only thing that compelled him to write SOE in the first place or why he even wants to play SOE related games.

I agree that gaming must provide features so the impaired can play games as well, perhaps Alex will indeed light the fire under SOE butt (along with others) to start taking this seriously...but in my opinion this is not the reason why he's doing it, he's looking to line his pockets..and one way or the other he is going to try to accomplish just that.
12-18-2009, 07:44 PM,
Glad you did read the case file..
But unless you have talked to Alex or heard him state the reason for him filing is money I disagree since they have not posted the amount, they usually post amounts when that's all they want. Seems to me he wants SOE to get there butt kicked in court and in the Media..
12-19-2009, 02:23 AM,
(12-18-2009, 07:44 PM)MajTom Wrote: Glad you did read the case file..
But unless you have talked to Alex or heard him state the reason for him filing is money I disagree since they have not posted the amount, they usually post amounts when that's all they want. Seems to me he wants SOE to get there butt kicked in court and in the Media..

And unless you personally know Alex you can't say for sure that money is his only driving factor either. See? i can do it too.

This is the last post i'll be making before it turns into a "no you!" fight. You have your opinion and i have mine, let's agree to disagree on this one.
12-20-2009, 01:11 AM,
I think we can all agree on the fact that SOE as a company is full of asshats and douchebags. But let it be clear that this country that we(most)live in is plagued with individuals who abuse their rights and liberties and others who abuse their responsibilities.

Who is really at fault?.. Mankind, as our own greed takes us down a few steps on the evolutionary ladder.

Good luck to both law firms, it's a shame justice is blind.
"We die because the people are asleep...you will die because the people will awaken"-Carl Sandburg
[Image: testsignew.jpg]