Hardline Dreams - A Python Matrix Online Server Project

Full Version: Possible Story Ideas
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15
(02-27-2010, 02:41 AM)Twaggy Wrote: [ -> ]
(02-27-2010, 02:29 AM)Metalogic Wrote: [ -> ]Since then, there has been the Matrix that was based somewhere in the late 20th century early 21st century.

In MxO theory, The Matrix universe is set only in 1999. They way they put it (If i remember correctly) is that the year they remember to be 1999 is re-coded in the blue pill's brain to 1998 and the previous 1998 to 1997 and so on and so fourth. That way it is always 1999, just before the invention of "AI".

I really don't like that because the movies never set a date. Hell in The Matrix, at the beginning it was 1998. They always said at the end of the 20th Century or the beginning of the 21st Century.
(02-27-2010, 03:30 AM)Metalogic Wrote: [ -> ]
(02-27-2010, 02:41 AM)Twaggy Wrote: [ -> ]
(02-27-2010, 02:29 AM)Metalogic Wrote: [ -> ]Since then, there has been the Matrix that was based somewhere in the late 20t century early 21st century.

In MxO theory, The Matrix universe is set only in 1999. They way they put it (If i remember correctly) is that the year they remember to be 1999 is re-coded in the blue pill's brain to 1998 and the previous 1998 to 1997 and so on and so fourth. That way it is always 1999, just before the invention of "AI".

I really don't like that because the movies never set a date. Hell in The Matrix, at the beginning it was 1998. They always said at the end of the 20th Century or the beginning of the 21st Century.

The specific quote from Smith is:
Quote:Did you know that the first Matrix was designed to be a perfect human world? Where none suffered, where everyone would be happy. It was a disaster. No one would accept the program. Entire crops were lost. Some believed we lacked the programming language to describe your perfect world. But I believe that, as a species, human beings define their reality through suffering and misery. The perfect world was a dream that your primitive cerebrum kept trying to wake up from. Which is why the Matrix was redesigned to this: the peak of your civilization.

This really set the tone for when the Matrix was set in place, because we saw very familiar surroundings that we (the viewers) identified with. It was also very poignant to make us question reality, since as the viewers, the turn of the 21st century was something we could identify very deeply with. If the Matrix took place in the Wild West, well... that's just silly.

I think people took the "it's always 1999!" waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too literally. It was supposed to be the peak of civilization, which could literally run for DECADES without significant change. By significant change, I of course mean change that would cause conscious questioning of reality, as opposed to the allowed subconscious questioning.

So years could pass by, and blues would see the calendar go by and small things would change, but nothing astronomical. And since change tends to make humans uncomfortable, the blues would go on happily without change for years. Those who's subconscious wouldn't let them just accept things as they were ended up like those who populate Zion.
That makes sense Noxton, the Machines probably designed it that way or more specifically the Architect as a way of keeping the percentages of people who would accept the program way in their favor.
(02-26-2010, 03:26 AM)cloudwolf Wrote: [ -> ]Remember Neoteny, The Merv didn't have any presence in the real before his acquisition of The General. That's why it was such a big deal back in the day.

He had operatives, didn't he?

If this is a big issue, then Morpheus could always be brought back into the Matrix after discovery of the construct thing ala Beirn and live a program-esque existence, which would create an interesting counter to the program becoming flesh. With the flesh becoming program and all. It would also create an interesting plot point, since you'd have someone trying to destroy the only thing keeping him alive (by Codebombing and trying to take down the Matrix). That's the kind of strong resolve we'd see from him.

Oh, and for what it's worth, I hate the 1999 thing as well. Was a pretty poor explanation.
The 1999 thing is MxO canon, to simply disregard it would be irresponsible.

For better or for worse MxO expanded on The Trilogy. The Oligarchs, The Trinity Program, they're all there. If we really want to carry it on post-shutdown we don't get to just pick and choose established lore.
(02-27-2010, 07:21 AM)cloudwolf Wrote: [ -> ]The 1999 thing is MxO canon, to simply disregard it would be irresponsible.

For better or for worse MxO expanded on The Trilogy. The Oligarchs, The Trinity Program, they're all there. If we really want to carry it on post-shutdown we don't get to just pick and choose established lore.

That is true. I would like to wrap up the Oligarch/Trinity Program though so that when MxOE starts up, we can start fresh.
(02-27-2010, 07:21 AM)cloudwolf Wrote: [ -> ]The 1999 thing is MxO canon, to simply disregard it would be irresponsible.

You'll have to excuse me, having only played for a year and a half. I had no idea that someone actually wrote that it was always 1999. While I'm familiar with the story from start to finish, some of these minute (and ridiculous) details have slipped past me.
I do think that everything that has happened in MxO is Canon, but that doesn't mean that we have to play everything out.
(02-27-2010, 08:08 AM)Noxton Wrote: [ -> ]

You'll have to excuse me, having only played for a year and a half. I had no idea that someone actually wrote that it was always 1999. While I'm familiar with the story from start to finish, some of these minute (and ridiculous) details have slipped past me.

http://forums.station.sony.com/mxo/posts...6300014531

As for not playing everything out Meta, you're right, I don't see any reason why the 1999 thing would have any meaningful affect on the storyline so it can just kind of be ignored and let people make up their own minds.
(02-27-2010, 09:35 AM)cloudwolf Wrote: [ -> ]
(02-27-2010, 08:08 AM)Noxton Wrote: [ -> ]You'll have to excuse me, having only played for a year and a half. I had no idea that someone actually wrote that it was always 1999. While I'm familiar with the story from start to finish, some of these minute (and ridiculous) details have slipped past me.

http://forums.station.sony.com/mxo/posts...6300014531

As for not playing everything out Meta, you're right, I don't see any reason why the 1999 thing would have any meaningful affect on the storyline so it can just kind of be ignored and let people make up their own minds.

I just re-read what I originally wrote... My bad, Cloudwolf, it comes off as way harsh, but I didn't intend that at all.

Any exasperation was at some of the craziness of the story (pew pew!). You've got a kickass recollection of the storyline beyond anyone else I've ever talked to about it.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15